WebCore Meetup: Web Fundamentals
Welcome to the second WebCore event where we'll cover hardcore tech talks on web fundamentals. This time around, WebCore has decided to incorporate some interactive fun: The web platform quiz! The winner will get a free ticket to the ViewSource conference in Amsterdam, so make sure to brush up on your general web knowledge.
- 18:00 - 18:30: Doors open, drinks and snacks
- 18:30 - 18:45: Introduction
- 18:45 - 19:15: "Coming up in Chrome: Project Fugu and its new Web APIs" by Raphael Kubo da Costa
- 19:15 - 19:25: 10 minute break
- 19:25 - 19:55: "Lessons from integrating 1,500 APIs" by Fokke Zandbergen
- 19:55 - 20:00: 5 minute break
- 20:00 - 20:15: Web Platform Quiz, the winner gets a free ticket to the View Source conference
- 20:15 - 21:00: Afterparty
- Raphael Kubo da Costa is a software engineer at Intel, where he's been part of the Web Technologies team for the last 7 years. He started out by working on WebKit back in 2010, but has since switched to working on Blink and the Chromium browser. He strives to make the web a better place by expanding its capabilities. During his talk, Raphael will share more about Project Fugu, a public, cross-company collaboration designed to close the capabilities gap with native applications by specifying and shipping new APIs ranging from raw clipboard access to Web Serial to WebNFC. This talk covers Fugu in more detail, shows how easy and important it is for everyone to contribute (an API is nothing without users!) and showcases a few new APIs the Web Technologies team at Intel has been involved in.
- Fokke Zandbergen is a full-stack engineer at Zapier. Over the past 7 years, Zapier has integrated or helped integrate over 1,500 apps. In this talk, Fokke will share what makes an API easy to work with and how they manage to process millions of requests to and from these apps, in a secure way, every day.