Panel Discussion: Championing Diversity in the Workplace
Diversity and inclusion: it's a topic that many people and companies talk about - especially around the time of Pride - but that doesn't always mean they follow through with initiatives that can really make a difference. Historically, the tech community has not been at the forefront of diversity and inclusion, though things are definitely changing. At this event, we'll be hearing from people who not only talk the talk, but also walk the walk, and have been championing diversity and inclusion within tech companies all year round.
We'll begin with an introductory talk from Kevin Lieber, Strategic Account Manager at WalkMe, who will give a short history of Pride as well as tips on how you can become an ally in your organisation. Following this, we'll move to a panel discussion with 4 guests who have been leading D&I initiatives at their respective tech companies. During this segment, we'll discuss their experiences of setting up various programs and best practices for doing so. There'll also be room for audience Q&A at the end.
The discussion will be moderated by Kevin. Read more about our speakers below!
Following the talks, you're invited to stick around for some drinks and a mingle in the club. Sign up here to let us know if you'll be joining us!
- 18:30 - 19:00 - Walk-in
- 19:00 - 19:15 - Introduction and talk by Kevin Lieber
- 19:15 - 19:40 - Panel discussion
- 19:40 - 20:00 - Audience Q&A
- 20:00 - 21:30 - Drinks and mingling in the club
- Rodrigo Caetano Teixeira is a Diversity and Inclusion Project Manager at Uber, and EMEA Co-Chair of Pride@Uber. He is passionate about D&I in the workplace, especially for the LGBT community. Originally from Brazil, Rodrigo has lived and worked in several countries in different HR roles and has also volunteered as a counselor for LGBT Refugees in different European countries.
- Marjorie Kalomeris, Senior Recruiter at Optimizely Amsterdam, is focused on creating a transparent and inclusive recruiting process. She develops and leads the Hiring Manager Interview and Assessment training, which covers Unconscious Bias, along with methods for developing a structured and objective hiring process. She is a member of the Optimizely Diversity and Inclusion Group (DIG), and is passionate about promoting Women in Tech and equality in the workplace for all.
- Kevin Lieber, our moderator for the evening, is a Strategic Account Manager for WalkMe. He has helped grow WalkMe's global org from 300 to just shy of 800, making sure that there's a consistent pillar of inclusivity across all offices. Kevin (TQ resident) reports to WalkMe's New York office where he helped pioneer diversity and inclusion practices. Kevin recently co-led a Pride, Diversity, and Inclusion chat at WalkMe's NY office and is excited to be a part of TQ's event here!
- Melody David is a Senior UX Copywriter at Booking.com and the Global Chair for Black@Booking. Originally from London, UK she’s worked in advertising, publishing and technology for over 12 years. She's passionate about creating inclusive user experiences and is on a personal mission to empower more women and queer people of colour to speak on the subjects they know and love.
- Lee Boonstra is a sales engineer in the Google Cloud team where she assists the sales team with technical knowledge about cloud computing and machine learning for the financial industry. Next to her job, Lee is Chapter Lead of Gayglers NL (group for LGBTQIA Googlers) and is leads the pride activities for Google NL. She is a seasoned speaker, having spoken at many conferences on a range of topics from machine learning to diversity.