Applying Machine Learning Pragmatically with Booking.com & Connecterra
Machine Learning (ML) is not science fiction or magic - it's computer science. With ML, computers can do much more interesting things than we could've ever predicted, though it's also important not to mistake it for a catch-all solution. Looking at ML through a pragmatic lens can help you to avoid frustration, misconceptions, and wasting precious time and money. But most importantly, a pragmatic approach to ML can help you seize every opportunity this technology brings us.
This event will begin with a talk by Lucas Bernardi, Principal Data Scientist at Booking.com, who'll start with an introduction to ML - what it is and what it is not, and why it's important to be pragmatic when applying ML solutions to your challenges. He'll then look at some of the interesting ways Booking.com is using and experimenting with ML with a pragmatic lens, and touch upon how you can use this technology effectively.
Following Lucas' talk, we'll hear from Jorge Sáez Gómez, Lead Data Scientist of Connecterra, an exciting startup (and TQ alumni) working to make global agriculture more productive, humane, and sustainable using sensors and ML. Jorge will share how Connecterra is successfully using ML, and the challenges this technology has helped the team overcome.
Following the two talks, we will wrap up with a panel discussion and audience Q&A moderated by Simon van Duivenvoorde, Commercial Director at Feli. We'll end with drinks and networking in the TQ club.
Following the two talks, we'll wrap up with a panel discussion and audience Q&A so you can ask all of your ML related questions. We'll end with drinks and networking in the TQ club.
- 18:30 - 19:00 – Walk-in
- 19:00 - 19:30 – Talk by Lucas Bernardi from Booking.com
- 19:30 - 19:45 – Talk by Jorge Sáez Gómez from Connecterra
- 19:45 - 20:00 – Panel Discussion and Q&A moderated by Simon van Duivenvoorde
- 20:00 - 21:00 – Drinks
- Lucas Bernardi has a keen interest in Recommender Systems and Personalization. At Booking.com, he leads the Machine Learning productionization team and also contributes to the experimentation framework. Lucas enjoys blogging about data science and has contributed to articles published in SIGIR, RecSys, and WSDM.
- Jorge Sáez Gómez is one of the founding members of Connecterra and as a Lead Data Scientist, he has been responsible for the detection of low-level cow behaviors using Deep Learning (such as rumination, walking, eating, standing...). He was also involved in the design of the overall system architecture, ranging from their sensor systems to training procedures on the cloud.
- Simon van Duivenvoorde is currently Commercial Director at Feli, a robo-advice platform which enables financial service providers to offer automated yet personalised product advice by leveraging technologies such as NLG, hash chain and machine learning to create a proven impact on the accessibility, quality and traceability of financial advice. Prior to his position at Feli, Simon was Managing Director at Wakoopa, the world's leading supplier of passive metering technologies.